Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 12, 2015

Book Review: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks by Sam Maggs
Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.
I never feel like a 'fangirl'. Not because I thought it was something bad (nor at all, it's way cool!), but because I never interacted much with other fans. But you know what? I did use to have a lot of Harry Potter stuff, I watched every Sakura CardCaptor episode and wrote some fanfics a couple of years ago! My new obsession might be Sherlock. I left some of my other fandoms outside, but I think the point is that I am a fangirl and proud to be!

Anyway, I might have been a fangirl all my life but sadly I have never been to a comic-con and also I don't really use Tumblr so I sometimes feel like at outsider and not really know where to start. So this guide was perfect for me. It's really simple and funny and just easy to read. It explains a little bit of every fandom, it has some directions on how to be a fangirl and feel amazing and respected, and it even has some short interviews from other amazing fangirls (Beth Revis yay!). It also has many many links I'll need to check out soon, where to buy your fandom's stuff, where to meet other fangirls, etc.

Definitely, The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is a keeper! I recommend it to get it hardback, because it would be fun to have it around and check it out when you need to remember a link or read again some tips for, I don't know, your next cosplay maybe?

Expected publication: May 12th 2015 by Quirk Books
Add it to your Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I really do want to read this one. It sounds like a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read it, it was very fun!

      Delete
  2. I read this last month and loved it! Such a fun and cool book that makes you proud to be a geek girl!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'd consider myself a true fangirl. I mean, I love certain books and movies and have pushed them on others, but I've never written fanfiction and doubt I'd ever attend comic cons or engage in cosplay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I haven't been at comic cons either but I would love to go at least one time!

      Delete